April 25, 2021 | From the Series: Real Conversations In Truth and Love
Betrayed: How To Restore The Relationship
Once there has been betrayal, is it possible to restore the relationship?
Jim Newheiser, Professor of CounselingCharacteristics of worldly sorrow:
- Self-focused; self-protective.
- Doesn’t primarily hate the sin; hates the consequences of sin.
- Resents accountability.
- Impatient – demanding to be trusted and restored immediately.
- Focuses on the sins of others.
- Criticizes the disciplinary process.
- Unchanged (hard) heart.
- No fruit.
Characteristics of godly sorrow:
- Focused on God and other person; well-being of others is first priority
- Hates the sin itself; accepts the consequences of the sin.
- Fully accepts responsibility.
- Seeks accountability.
- Focuses upon their own sin.
- Submits to the disciplinary process.
- Changed heart.